Carrot and lentil soup
A delicious combination
1 onion chopped
1 tbs olive oil
4 carrots peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
1 Teaspoon tumeric powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup red lentils pre rinsed and soaked overnight
8 cups of vegetable stock
(Swiss vegetable Boullion powder is a good brand - Vegan option/reduced salt) 1 half lemon sliced into 4 pieces
2 tbs fresh coriander
- In a large soup pot, sauté the diced onion in the olive oil over low heat for 5 minutes – until soft.
- Add carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, cumin, turmeric and black pepper. Sauté – stirring – for 2minutes.
- Add red lentils and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer andcook for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Puree the soup using a blender if desired – smooth or chunky – the choice is yours.
- Just before serving, add a sprinkle of chopped coriander and a squeeze of lemon to each bowl of soup. Stir to combine and serve.
- Serve with 3 oat cakes.