They are, so you won't be
80-100ml/3-3½fl oz. olive oil
3 beef tomatoes, preferably organic and large as possible
2 white onion, finely chopped
1 garlic cloves, crushed and sliced
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1lb of ripe plum tomatoes, roughly chopped or 1 tin of plum tomatoes
2 minced vegetarian sausages
1 slice of wholemeal bread to make breadcrumbs
1 free-range egg yolk
1 small shallot, finely chopped
60g/2oz cottage cheese
1 sprig roughly chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
3 small fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon of olive oil for brushing and drizzling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large pot
1 baking dish
Scoop or Spoon
- Warm the olive oil in the pan at medium heat, add the onions and garlic and fry them for 3-4 minutes. But don’t brown them.
- Add the tomato puree, cook for a minute before adding the chopped tomatoes.
- Season with some salt and ground black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to simmer and cover with the lid then cook at low heat for 20 minutes.
- Taste and rectify the taste if necessary.
- Stir in the basil.
- Preheat the oven at 180C/250F/Gas 4
- Prepare the stuffed tomatoes by trimming the bases so they can stand up straight.
- Slice off the top third of the tomatoes and keep them to use as a lid.
- With a spoon, scoop out the pulp and juice into a bowl.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients minus the cheese together in a bowl until they’re combined. Stir in half of the cheese into the stuffing.
- Season insides of the tomato with a pinch of salt and ground pepper.
- Divide the into balls big enough to fit inside the tomatoes. Then sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Top each stuffed tomato with the reserved tomato ‘lids’.
- Brush a baking dish with olive oil then place the tomatoes in.
- Cook tomatoes in pre heated oven for approx 25 minutes or until tomatoes are tender and the stuffing is cooked through.
Leave bread out to try a few hours before to harden as it makes it easier to crumble.