Sweet potato and apple soup
For starters, nothing is better for you!
Sweet potato soup makes a wonderful first course for an elegant dinner or even a cosy main meal in front of a warm fire.
Ingredients (for 6 people)
2 tablespoons (25 mL) Coconut oil
1 cup (250 mL) chopped onions
1 cup (250 mL) chopped carrots
4 cups (1 L) peeled, chopped sweet potatoes (1 1/4 lbs/625 g)
1 teaspoon (5 mL) chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cumin
1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon (5 mL) mild Indian curry paste
4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
1/2 cup (125 mL) coconut milk (note: does not contain dairy)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoon (10 mL) lemon juice
2 tablespoon (25 mL) chopped coriander
- Heat oil in a pot or pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes or so until they start to soften.
- Add carrots, sweet potato and sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Add ginger, cumin, coriander seeds and curry paste and sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock, coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Cover, turn heat to low and then simmer for 18 to 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft.
- Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Season to taste and stir in lemon juice and coriander.